Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Breaking out the Zutter!

I finally used my Zutter machine and made some journals!

The covers are actually old buy campaign signs. They get placed on the shelves so they're sticking out and catch people's attention. Mostly they get bumped into and fall onto the floor, but that's beside the point.

Anyway, these were going to get thrown away and I thought they would make good journal covers. My original plan was to gesso or decoupage them and reuse them that way. But they're kind of cute as they are, you know?

It took a little bit of time to get the holes punched exactly where I wanted them, but once I figured that out, it was smooth sailing. I economized on the paper, so the pages are a little bit short (hence the half hole at the bottom)... but I thought it made more sense to get as many pages with as little waste as possible. I was able to get 4 pages per sheet of copier paper with minimal trimming. The wires are 1/2" in diameter, and work nicely with the overall size. Bending in the wires was super easy, and it only took a few minutes to assemble all of the journals once I had the paper trimmed and holes punched.

I think next time I'm going to put in some pockets and different papers. Oh, the ideas swimming around in my head right now...


  1. Great re-purpose. After IHE, I once again want to take up book binding.

  2. You are SO crafty!! Love it!

  3. Thanks for the kind words, y'all. I made these for a visiting bunch of managers from one of the Ohio districts, and they were a huge hit.

    One of them actually made me sign his. I feel a little bit like a rock star (but just a little bit, mind you).