Saturday, March 28, 2009

Rock you like a hurricane.

So, the magazine price structure changed at work from half cover to 50 cents an issue. This is good news in that customers are purchasing magazines like crazy, and multiple people will have had the chance to enjoy them before they end up in the dumpster/recycler (depending what store you're working at). This is bad news for me because it means I'm bringing magazines home.

There was an old copy of Bead & Button that I picked up, and I noticed in one of the ads that there is a store called Bead Palace in Greenwood, on Madison Avenue.

Wait for it...

I went to Bead Palace yesterday. It was my day off, I'd just had my sixth eye exam in as many months, stopped at Luna on the way home to get the new Decemberists CD, and decided that it would be a good time to keep on truckin' to the bead store. And that's exactly what I did, and it's where I found this lovely amber pendant. It's strung
on some 19 strand wire with some silver spacers, reddish-brown glass beads from India, and some yellowy-brown beads that are made of horn. Yes, horn. Stop judging.

Of course I was compelled to wear it to work today, as it's all shiny and new and I'm like a magpie when it comes to things that are shiny and new. Boy howdy, I don't think I've ever gotten so many compliments from complete strangers as I did today. One very nice customer with a heavy German accent commented on it, and I smiled and thanked her. She then asked, "Are you a scorpion?" So I replied that I wasn't, and when my brain finally processed her question, she had already moved along and I couldn't tell her that I'm actually a goat. So much of my witty repartee really only happens in my head.

It's difficult to tell in these photos just how large the pendant is, so Freeman decided to take over the Vanna White duties while I was taking a few snapshots...

(The last photo was taken just before he completely lost his shit and pulled a Sean Penn on me.)

1 comment:

  1. Damn. That is one massive chunk of amber. Way to go you Scorpion you...uh, I mean Goat.

    ReplyDelete